Law Enforcement Officers’ Dependents Scholarship (LEO)
The Law Enforcement Officers’ (LEO) Dependents Scholarship program provides an eight-semester scholarship to any state-supported college, university, or technical institute in Arkansas to dependents of Arkansas residents in one of the categories below who were killed or permanently disabled in the line of duty:
- Law enforcement officers
- Full-time or volunteer firefighters
- Municipal and/or college or university police officers
- Sheriffs or deputy sheriffs
- Game Wardens
- Certain Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department employees
- State forestry employees engaged in fighting forest fires
- State correction employees killed or totally disabled due to contact with inmates or parolees
- State park employees who are commissioned law enforcement officers or emergency response employees
- Emergency Medical Technicians
- Department of Community Punishment employees
The scholarship will reimburse the institution the cost of tuition, fees and dormitory room charges when provided in campus-owned facilities. The scholarship will not pay the cost of books, food, school supplies and materials, or fees for extracurricular activities. Dependent children are eligible to receive benefits for eight semesters and must be less than twenty-three (23) years of age on or before the first day of the semester or quarter. Spouses are entitled to an eight-semester scholarship. The spouse will no longer be eligible if he or she remarries. The benefits will cease at the end of the semester in which the spouse is currently enrolled at the time of the remarriage.
An Applicant must:
- Be a bona fide Arkansas resident;
- Be a citizen of the United States or permanent resident alien;
- Be the biological, stepchild, legally adopted child OR spouse of an eligible Arkansas law enforcement officer;
- Be enrolled, or be accepted for admission to, an approved Arkansas public institution;
- Provide required documentation as determined by the Arkansas Department of Higher Education in order to determine eligibility.
Continuing Eligibility Requirements
Must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale.
Application Deadline Date
June 1 to apply.
June 15 to submit required documentation.
For complete information regarding the Law Enforcement Officers' Dependents Scholarship Program (LEO), please see the LEO Rules and Regulations or call 501-371-2000.Disclaimer: The laws, rules, regulations, award amounts, amount of awardees, eligibility criteria, funding per program, etc. are subject to change at any point prior to, during or after application through the YOUniversal application. These changes will be based on changes in law or funding provided by the Arkansas General Assembly. It is understood that ADHE is not at fault for any changes that occur to any financial aid program. In addition, awards for all ADHE programs are limited by the availability of funds.