Frequently Asked Questions

I need assistance with my scholarship following COVID-19 changes for the Fall 2020 semester.

 Following the Governor's Emergency Pandemic Declaration, the Division of Higher Education suspended certain criteria for college students receiving scholarships such as Governor's Distinguished, Governor's Scholarship,, Arkansas Challenge Scholarship (Lottery) and ArFuture.  As our staff and the staff at the colleges and universities have tried to implement the changes and secure all of the data necessary, there are still gaps.  If you have issues, please contact the following topic specific link: 


Arkansas Challenge Scholarship (Lottery)

   I have received the scholarship before and not now.  Why?

   I sent my transcript.  Why am I on probation?

    My college said to contact ADHE.  They don't have my scholarship.  Why?  

Other scholarships:  

State Teacher Education Program (STEP) and Teacher Opportunity Program (TOP)

Arkansas Future Grant (ArFuture) and Arkansas Workforce Challenge 

Concurrent Challenge and Arkansas Health Education Grant (ARHEG)

Guard Tuition Assistance Program (GTIP) and Arkansas Geographical Critical Needs

Governor’s Distinguished Scholarship and Governor’s Scholars

Military Dependents Scholarship (MDS), Law Enforcement Officer (LEO)

What is a YOUniversal account?

This would be the account you created when you first completed the ADHE search and application process. Access it by going to and logging in under "Returning User."

Financial Aid Home >

How do I put my scholarship on hold?

In order to place your scholarship on hold, you can fill out the hold request form at The form is located under students in the "How to use YOUniversal" subsection. You may also click the button below to go straight to the form. The deadline for hold requests are October 1 for fall holds and February 1 for spring holds. You can hold your scholarship for up to four semesters for certain reasons.

Hold Request Form >

How do I transfer my scholarship to a different College or University?

If you are transferring schools, it is very important that you let us know. In order to request a transfer in your YOUniversal account, you can log in at and select “Change Schools.” The deadlines to request a transfer are October 1 for the fall semester and February 1 for the spring semester. Please note that you may only transfer your scholarship to an approved Arkansas institution of higher education. For a list of eligible colleges, click the button below.

Approved Arkansas Colleges >

Where can I find the Rules and Regulations that govern ADHE financial aid programs?

For an A-Z list of all of the scholarship programs offered by the State of Arkansas, just click the button below.

Scholarships and Programs >

How do I change my ADHE account information?

Students may log into their ADHE YOUniversal financial aid account around the clock to update their information.

I can’t log into my account. How can I regain access?

If you remember your email address and password that you used to create your account, you can go to the ADHE financial aid homepage, and  log in under returning user, using the email and password with which your account was created. If you do not remember your username or password, click on “Forgot email or password?” below. If you forgot which email address you used, you will be asked some questions to verify your identity and your email address will be confirmed. If you forgot your password, the system will send you an email with a link to a site where you can create a new one.

Forgot Email or Password >

I didn’t complete my required hours during the regular school year, or my GPA has fallen below the requirement. How can I get my scholarship back?

You can take summer classes at your own expense to make up deficiencies in grades and/or hours from the prior school year. When the classes are complete, have your college provide ADHE with your official transcript by September 15. You do not have to take the same classes you took during the regular school year, and you do not have to attend the same college to make up your hours. The hours, however, must be accepted by the college at which you are seeking your degree.

What is the difference between the FAFSA and ADHE’s YOUniversal System?

The FAFSA is the application for federal financial aid programs, such as the Pell Grant and student loans. ADHE’s YOUniversal System is the application for State of Arkansas financial aid programs, such as the Academic Challenge Scholarship and the GO! Grant.

You must complete EACH application to be considered for each type of aid. Completion of the FAFSA is NOT an application for any of the ADHE programs, nor is completion of the YOUniversal application the same as the FAFSA.

How do I get my FAFSA information to ADHE?

ADHE receives FAFSA information for all applicants who list an Arkansas college on their FAFSA. It generally takes about a week from the time you complete the FAFSA until it is received at ADHE.

I am a student coming out of high school. Will there be Academic Challenge Scholarship money for me?

If you are eligible, yes, there is sufficient funding at this time for all graduating high school seniors. There is currently no funding cap for traditional students.

What are the criteria for determining priority should there be insufficient funding for all eligible applicants?

For the non-traditional Academic Challenge Scholarship, available funding goes first to returning students. If there are funds remaining, students will be prioritized by proximity to graduation, grade point average, and course of study.

For the GO! Grant, available funding goes first to returning students. If there are funds remaining, students will be prioritized by level of need, with those showing the greatest need having highest priority.

For other programs, please check the program’s Rules and Regulations.

Do I have to reapply for any of the ADHE scholarship or grant programs?

You do not have to reapply for the Academic Challenge Scholarship, the Governor's Scholarships, the Law Enforcement Officers program, the Military Dependents Scholarship, or the Arkansas Health Education Grants. Those scholarships are renewed automatically, provided you meet the continuing eligibility requirements by the end of spring semester. The colleges let us know who has met those requirements. To see your continuing eligibility requirements, log into your ADHE YOUniversal financial aid account, go to the program specific page in your account, and click on “Information Sheet.”

The Higher Education Opportunities Grant (the GO! Grant) is also renewed automatically, but you must complete a new FAFSA each year to show continued need.

Teachers must submit a new application for TOP and STEP each year.

I accepted my award. What else do I have to do?

Double-check your ADHE account to be sure the college you will be attending is the one listed on the account. If your college choice has changed, you can click on “Change College” to update it. Funds will be sent to the college you put on your account. ADHE does not know which college you are attending unless you tell us.

I applied near the beginning of the application period and still have not heard anything. Why is that?

All files are reviewed and updated as documents are received. Due to heavy volume of documents received, this process may take a significant amount of time. Applicants can always check their status by logging onto their ADHE YOUniversal financial aid account and looking on the program specific page.

Does ADHE have the needed documents to complete my application?

All applicants are encouraged to check the status of their ADHE accounts online through the YOUniversal Financial Aid System. When an applicant’s account is updated the change is reflected on the program specific page of that account. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all required documentation is submitted to ADHE by the appropriate deadlines.

What is Arkansas' policy on stacking my financial aid?

When a student receives a student aid package that includes state aid and the student aid package exceeds the cost of attendance, the postsecondary institution shall repay state aid in the amount exceeding total cost of attendance, starting with state aid received under the Arkansas Academic Challenge Scholarship under §6-85-201 et seq.

Arkansas Scholarship Stacking Law

How many hours do I have to enroll in to receive my Academic Challenge?

For Non-Traditional Students:

Students must be enrolled in at least fifteen (15) semester hours to receive the above amounts.  The award amount will be one-half the above amount for students enrolled in six (6) to eight (8) hours.  The award amount will be three-quarters of the above amount for students enrolled in nine (9) to fourteen (14) hours. All hours must be taken at one institution.

For Traditional Students:

Students must enroll in at least twelve (12) semester hours the first fall semester immediately following high school graduation, and fifteen (15) semester hours each semester thereafter, as of close of business on the 11th day of classes in a program of study leading to a bachelors or associates degree, or a qualified certificate. You must be enrolled in the appropriate number of credit hours at one institution each semester. This scholarship will not be split among multiple colleges in a semester.

What does my scholarship application status mean?

When you log into your YOUniversal account, you will notice that your scholarship applications have a current status listed. You can see the meaning of each status at the link below:

Understanding Your Status